Friday, February 8, 2013

moss balls

 
My daughter and I LOVE to go treasure hunting at our local thrift store,
and can spend a whole afternoon browsing the isles. You never know what
you're going to find. I initially went looking for some chairs for a
customer who had ordered one of our Farmhouse Tables. . .
 
But then I spied some of these adorable vintage pewter dishes for $1.50 each.
 
SCORE!!!
 

Immediately I knew that I wanted to make a moss ball to just sit inside it. Fortunately for me,
the ride home passes right by Hobby Lobby (much to my hubby's dismay)
so of course we had to make a quick stop!
 
We grabbed a round styrofoam ball and some moss, and I already had
my glue gun at home. . .
 


This is a SUPER easy activity. . .just spread the hot glue on the MOSS
(not the styrofoam) and then press down on the ball, doing about a 2"x 2" section
at a time. Wherever there are open gaps, just tear (not cut) pieces and glue in place.
 


I love it when projects turn out as planned. . .
It's the little things like this that make me happy :)
 


 
 
If you want to see more tips, tricks, and ideas, click here to view all our other tutorials. :)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tutorial. I'm going to try this. Love the piece you found...such a great deal on a beautiful dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...you sure did find one awesome deal on this pretty piece and your DIY moss ball is just perfect for it.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love MOSS EVERYTHING..I also did some moss balls a while back!!! Very nice!!! I just started a blog a few weeks ago...Please stop by if you have a minute
    http://littlebrags.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love moss creations- thanks for your tutorial. Sharing at the party tonight~ thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know what I am doing this Friday! Had been looking for Spring/Garden touches to add to my decor.... and now I have it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tip to put the glue on moss instead of styrofoam! I love moss balls, have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully done! I made mine with moss peeled off of Dollar Store moss rocks and glued it to large plastic Christmas balls (because I'm cheap, lol!) Love the little silver bowl and moss ball together, they're so pretty.

    ReplyDelete