Saturday, January 14, 2012

Salvaged Parlor Doors

Recently I went to an estate sale of an old farmhouse that was cleaning out a
huge shed full of nifty vintage finds, and boy did I have a hey day!  
One of the first things that caught my eye was a pair
of old swinging parlor doors. . .you know the kind you see in old
western movies when they enter the saloon?

Yep, there they were. . .in all their glory.

I have a rather large picture window in my living room that was very plain,
and desperately needed some attention. I'd been ho-humming around the idea of
hanging curtains, but once I saw these parlor doors, it was all over!

Here you can see my dilemma with this window. . .


Enough said.

Since they were already painted white, all I needed to do was pull out one of my
all-time favorite tools. . .the electric sander.
If you don't have one, get one. . .you'll be glad you did!
Anyways, I just put a 100 grit piece of sandpaper on and went to town.



Between the lighting and my old, over used and abused camera, I wasn't able
to capture a good quality picture. . .sorry about that :(


This one was even missing one of the little ballister's, which made it even better
by adding to it's authenticity. . .sometimes less can actually be more.



Next on the list. . .new blinds!!! I'm thinking Roman Shades, maybe in a soft white linen. . .
Any other suggestions?

"Life isn't about finding yourself.
Its about creating yourself."
                                          -George Brenard Shaw

1 comment:

  1. Well, well, well...I have that exact same set of saloon doors...plus another set too.,,they are not painted white...yet! They make absolute adorable shutter...and I never even thought of that! I was trying to come up with something creative to use them for...they have been in my garage for probably 2 years. Picked up at garage sales...for about 3.00 bucks a set. Gotta love those garage sales...and blogs...where ideas just keep coming!
    sharon
    I am your newest follower! Stop by and visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete